Information Design - Lectures & Flip


6.2.2024 - 5.3.2024 ( Week 1- Week 5)
Gam Jze Shin / 0353154
Information Design / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Lectures & Flip

Index


Instructions


Lectures
Week 1 -  Introduction to Module

This week, Mr. Shamsul and Mr. Fauzi gave us a concise overview of this module, aiming to help us comprehend the concept of information design. Additionally, they outlined the exercises and projects to be completed during the 7-week duration and providing a brief explanation of the tasks involved.


Week 2 -   L.A.T.C.H

During the online class, the lecturer shared information about L.A.T.C.H to ensure clarity on the five principles. This guidance was provided to prevent confusion and promote a better understanding for applying them in our Exercise 2.

Week 3 - Miller's Law (Chunking)

In week 3, we learned about Miller's Law (Chunking). Lecturer had shared the video that related to this Law during online lecture class.


Week 4 - Manuel Lima’s 9 Directives Manifesto

We studied on Manuel Lima’s 9 Directives Manifesto this week. The 9 Directives Manifesto consists of:

  • Form Follows Function.
  • Interactivity is Key.
  • Cite Your Sources.
  • The Power of Narrative.
  • Do Not Glorify Aesthetics.
  • Look For Relevancy.
  • Embrace Time.
  • Aspire For Knowledge.


Flip
Topic 1 -  Different types of infographics & Online Tools

There are two tasks should be done which is group task and individual task.

I am part of Group 2 for the flip presentation, and my assigned task is to create the hierarchical infographic slide. Additionally, I am responsible for finding relevant examples to illustrate this concept during the presentation.

fig. 1.1 - 1.2 Comparison of infographic

On the left is the poorly constructed infographic that I discovered online. I noticed that the layout lacks clarity and fails to capture the viewer's attention effectively. To address this, I have undertaken a redesign using Canva. Given that the content is related to Instagram information, I opted for a color scheme closer to Instagram's palette to enhance the visual appeal for the viewer.

Topic 2 - Saul Wurman's L.A.T.C.H

In Flip 2, my responsibility is to create the slide focusing on the Time principle. To fulfill this task, I am actively seeking and reviewing research related to the Time principle. Then, I conclude the information into key points for the presentation. Next, I have explored examples on Pinterest that I believe effectively demonstrate the application of the Time principle in infographics.

Topic 3 - Miller's Law (Chunking)


This week, my assignment for Flip 3 is to locate a well-designed infographic that applies Miller's Law. Additionally, I am responsible for providing explanations on how to best utilize this technique in terms of visual delivery. Given that some of my groupmates are participating in the Osaka Japan intercultural event, I am also assisting in ensuring the presentation's success. Prior to presenting in the lecture class, I have added more points and sought examples for the app and process slides.

Topic 4 - Manuel Lima’s 9 Directives Manifesto


In our final tutorial class, we discussed Manuel Lima's 9 Directives Manifesto, and I was assigned the slide focusing on "DO NOT GLORIFY AESTHETICS." To fulfill this topic, I conducted research and gathered relevant information and images from the internet.

Comments